Quantcast

How to Recover Your Firefox Session When All Hope is Lost

Last week my house had some electrical issues, and our landlord came round to take a look at things. During this time, my computer got turned off without warning when a fuse was removed. It recovered fine, but next time I went to shut down in a hurry, Firefox was hanging around, and I wanted it dead. I chose to kill it and shut down—a mistake I would soon regret.

When the fuse and power were restored and my machine booted up again, I opened Firefox. It asked to do a session restore, as it had closed down with an error. That’s fine, no problem; I did force quit and the restore has always worked. Not this time. It DID load all my open tabs, probably about 100-130 or so… every single one of them… blank, with no URL. I don’t have all those tabs open at once, but in one session—most of which is stored in Firefox’s grouped tabs feature.

Many hours had gone into collecting those tabs. Several of them were tabs of projects put on pause, a few article resources, plans for future projects, random research and reading I wanted to finish at some time. All lost. I was under the false impression that Firefox by default stored several sessions, but sadly it does not. This can be achieved with a plugin which I’ll get to later.

I had a frantic panic and it took about half an hour to sink in that I’d probably never see those tabs again. Because I’d spent so many hours gathering them, however, I decided I’d try and get them back, somehow. I figured the data must be stored somewhere, and maybe Firefox just wasn’t loading the URLs because the file was corrupt.

After a bit of poking around and Googling, I found the profile data is stored in the appdata folder (%APPDATA%\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[RandomNumber]) on Windows (you may or may not have the “Roaming” folder). If you’re a Mac user, you should find the profile data at ~/Library/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/ or ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/. The files you’ll be looking for is sessionstore.js and sessionstore.bak. Firefox automatically creates a backup encase of crashes, but if like me, you opened and closed Firefox several times before realising this, you will have overwritten both these files several times.

At this point, I almost gave up. I figured the chances of recovering the session data file was pretty low. Having successfully used file-recovery software before, I decided to give it a shot. On Windows I use Recuva, made by the same people as CCleaner, and it’s free. If you’re on a Mac and you don’t have Time Machine or (for whatever reason) don’t have any form of backup enabled, you can have a look at some Mac-based alternatives.

Now I knew what file I was looking for, where it was, and how to recover it. Because of the way the NTFS file system works on Windows, when you delete a file (from the recycle bin), you actually just delete the index to the file, allowing that space to be reused. Recuva knows this, and searches for un-indexed files on the drive. It sometimes only recovers partial files, but I was lucky enough to find a completely untouched version of my sessions file.

After the file was recovered, I moved it to the correct location and re-opened Firefox. JOY! After the huge worry, I decided to installed Session Manager, a Firefox plugin which allows some clever session management features, like backing up x number of previous sessions, something I thought was already in place.

If you have had a similar horrible Firefox (or other browser-related) experience, let us know in the comments below.

This entry was posted in Browsers, HowTo, Internet and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

175 Comments

1. Posted 21/12/2015 at 3:34 PM | Permalink

Hi there to every , for the reason that I am genuinely keen of
    reading this weblog’s post to be updated on a regular
    basis. It includes good information.

2. Posted 22/12/2015 at 1:56 AM | Permalink

Yes! Finally someone writes about helpful tips.

3. Posted 04/02/2016 at 9:01 PM | Permalink

Internet marketing thankful for the publish. Very much thank you all over again. Wish much more.

4. Posted 19/02/2016 at 3:25 AM | Permalink

yo

5. Posted 26/02/2016 at 6:48 PM | Permalink

pykt.com

6. Posted 07/04/2016 at 10:08 PM | Permalink

Very soon this web site will be famous among all blogging visitors, due to it’s nice articles or reviews|

7. Riley
    Posted 27/01/2017 at 7:23 PM | Permalink

Thanks for this—gives me some hope.
    I had a similar situation.
    I had many tabs open—maybe 50 or so. Each window had tabs for a research project. Like your situation, most windows were groups of tabs for current or soon-to-be-current research projects.

A visitor picked up my laptop and closed all my windows, then restarted Firefox. Why, I don’t know. Maybe it was running slowly and he thought he “knew how to fix that—you’ve got too many tabs open!”. I really really don’t want to have to try to replicate all that research; and I know from experience that one cannot always even find the same links.

Also like you, I have now, out of necessity, opened and closed Firefox many times since this happened, before having the time to find your post and to believe there may be some hope.

I am using Mac OS 10.11.6, El Capitan.
    Can anyone direct me to resources for solving this on the Mac?

Many thanks for this, and for doing this work and sharing it with us generally!

-Riley

8. Posted 26/03/2017 at 11:27 PM | Permalink

Hi there,I read your blogs named “How to Recover Your Firefox Session When All Hope is Lost – TechRant” like every week.Your writing style is awesome, keep doing what you’re doing! And you can look our website about تحميل اغانى.

9. Posted 10/04/2017 at 10:32 PM | Permalink

Far too much money is needlessly spent each year by hard working folks replacing perfectly fine USB devices they assumed were busted, when in actual fact, they merely needed new drivers.
    That is, should you be like a lot of individuals that depend upon their PC’s and
    printers for professional or business means, beyond date drivers can readily lead
    to one’s printing setup or data transference actions to
    fail apparently away from the nowhere. Installing
    from the CDIf you have still got set up . CD that included your printer, you’ll be able to try installing in the CD.

10. lori
    Posted 11/08/2017 at 7:47 PM | Permalink

Can you help me restore Mozilla tabs that I had on my android. My phone shut down and all 40 tabs disappeared. I have “restore tabs” checked in my settings.

8 Trackbacks