Quantcast

The PC is dead, long live the PC

MG Siegler recently posted a great don’t-call-it-an-obituary for the PC on TechCrunch. His main point, for those too busy/lazy to read the whole thing, was that the PC as we all know it (and don’t really love it) today is dying, and the reason for that is the iPad. Now, before you go run and hide from the same point that’s been made a hundred times before, I’d like to throw in my own slant on this topic rather than state the blindingly obvious.

Everyone knows that the iPad is taking masses of sales away from PCs in the casual user space, and it won’t be long until the PC is relegated to a solely-enterprise business.

Dell laptop

What I’d like to talk about today, though, is a quick anecdote from a small business owner I know. So we’re not talking about the consumer space, here.

The guy I’m talking about owns his own hairdressing salon. He’s been a hairdresser for about 20 years, and the business is doing really well. He’s just expanded his premises into the shop next door and now has a nice medium-sized salon in the centre of our town. Now and again I’ll go in and chat to him about business and how everything’s going. The last time I was there, we got onto the subject of technology (as is generally the case when people talk to me), and he said he was quite interested in getting an iPad for the salon.

My first reaction was, “Why on earth would you want to do that? He then explained that he thought it’d be a nice idea if people, while they’re having their hair done, could ‘like’ the salon’s Facebook page or maybe tweet something complimentary. I then came round to his thinking and thought, “Actually, that’s a pretty good idea.”

iPad 2

People love using iPads—just look in an Apple store next time you’re around one: all the iPads are generally being played with, and you’ll always see the MacBooks looking a bit lonely. So I could definitely see people giving the salon a bit of a social boost if they got to check their Facebook or Twitter while having their hair done. So I commended the salon owner on his idea and offered my services if he needed any help getting things set up.

After this encounter (and after reading Siegler’s post), it occurred to me that it would never have been a good idea if we were talking about a PC. Could you imagine? You’re getting your hair done and somebody slings a laptop onto your…uh…lap, and asks if you want to do a spot of casual computing? It just wouldn’t work.

This brings me round to my real point—OK, so it took a while—which is: for casual users, there is no better PC than the iPad.

PCs are still great work machines, and I can’t see the iPad taking that market any time soon (although watch that space), but when it comes to situations like the one I detailed above, the iPad makes computing fun for those who think computing is a pain, and that’s why the days of the consumer PC are numbered.

This entry was posted in iOS, iPad, Rant and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

28 Comments

1. Posted 15/10/2014 at 7:57 AM | Permalink

- VALIANT COMICS, which has announced a return last year,
    will offer the best kind of incentive to attract new readers
    to their books this May; freebies. He raps about trying to be a good
    father (‘Be’) and the importance of raising a family (‘The Remedy’).
    The power lumbar support in the driver’s seat made the trip
    very comfortable and who doesn’t love gripping a wood grain steering wheel.

2. Posted 27/10/2014 at 1:21 PM | Permalink

magnificent issues altogether, you simply gained a new reader.
    What would you suggest in regards to your publish that you just made some days
    in the past? Any sure?

3. Posted 18/11/2014 at 1:53 AM | Permalink

This gadget will be an updated version of Samsung Galaxy Tab which is very
    much in demand specially in the UK mobile market. Of course the S2 has
    a plethora of tricks and tips up its sleeve, and this article will
    point you directly to some of the most cool. This may be a tribute to their motherland
    by the Jorsts in a way that has become so very famous
    all across the world over the years.

4. Posted 19/11/2014 at 3:51 AM | Permalink

Political Factors The media have made politics quite a spectacle.
    Khomeini preached of an oppressed people subjected to a ruling class, who
    were not true to the beliefs of Islam, and along with the foreign capitalists, must
    be thrown out. If your child is using a console that has online capabilities, make sure you tweak the family settings before
    they have a chance to play.

5. Posted 19/11/2014 at 5:38 PM | Permalink

obviously like your website however you have to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your
    posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very troublesome to tell the truth on the other hand
    I’ll definitely come back again.

6. Posted 20/11/2014 at 11:29 PM | Permalink

My brother suggested I would possibly like this blog. He was totally right.
    This post truly made my day. You can not imagine just how
    much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

7. Posted 21/11/2014 at 4:08 PM | Permalink

NAP’s suitable rate for Company will probably be add up to the amount of:
    a) the expense incurred by REST to supply the Support, through purchase in RTO applied and/or even the other shortterm markets, of all of the present
    and associated products that SLEEP requires to
    meet your electrical technology present requirements (including, without limitation, energy,
    discrepancy energy, losses, capability, transmission, ancillary services,
    alternative and renewable energy demands, additional
    RTO expenses, fees and some other expected items or services); and n) upto $.040 per kWh.

8. Posted 22/11/2014 at 7:31 PM | Permalink

This paragraph will assist the internet users for creating new website or even a weblog from start to end.

9. Posted 22/11/2014 at 8:35 PM | Permalink

It’s gߋing to be finish of mine day, except before ending I am rеading this wonderful post to
    increase my knowledge.

Heгre is my site – “”"degree

10. Posted 28/11/2014 at 1:01 AM | Permalink

I think the admin of this web site is truly working hard in support of his site, for the
    reason that here every stuff is quality based information.